The 2019 A8 is the first production execution of the all-new premium Audi design language deriving from Design Chief, Mark Lichte’s Prologue concept, which is founded in state-of-the-art exterior lighting, a powerful stance and precise, proportional design.
The front with its broad, upright Singleframe® grille, the flowing and muscular body design and the rear with its full-length strip of dynamic lighting accentuate the distinctive the stance of the all-new A8. The proportions equally highlight the front and rear wheels, with definition at the wheel arches calling attention to the standard quattro® all-wheel drive. The exterior lighting is state-of-the-art, particularly when equipped with the HD Matrix design and rear lamps with OLED technology, further cementing the Audi lighting leadership.
The new Audi design language is manifested in the interior through an intelligent redesign, featuring exceptional precision and material selection, as well as advancements to enhance relaxation and comfort for the driver and passengers alike. The A8 interior offers simplicity through the elegant use of piano black surfaces that give way to the two integrated touch display screens surrounded by brushed aluminum. Offering exceptionally clean design, a multitude of individual buttons have been eliminated in favor of the consolidated into the dual screen MMI touch response using the same intuitive operations as the latest smart phone interfaces.
The A8 provides a sense of ceremony to the driver and passengers through a theatre-like lighting display when the vehicle is unlocked, followed by the personalized welcome of the A8 in the virtual cockpit while the audio tweeters emerge and the air vents open to let its passengers know they are driving the pinnacle of the Audi lineup. Attending to every element of the user experience, through the available Premium air quality option, the cabin air is ionized for purification before passengers enter the A8 and a pleasant aroma can be selected to add to its interior ambiance.
For passengers in the rear of the vehicle, stored in the rear center console, a smartphone-sized OLED rear seat remote control allows passengers to conveniently customize their seating and infotainment preferences. Completing the luxury cabin, for ultimate relaxation, the right rear passenger seat offers an available heated massaging footrest discretely positioned on the rear of the front passenger seat. The result is an interior offering a serene respite from the hectic life that surrounds it.
Standard interior features include:
- Heated 18-way power front seats with lumbar adjustment and seat memory
- Power tilt and telescopic steering column with memory
- Valetta Leather interior with Fine Nappa Extended Leather
- Black glass touch control buttons with haptic feedback
Optional interior features include:
- Rear right passenger relaxation seat with heated massaging footrest
- Air quality package, including ionizer and aromatization
- Aluminum-optic control buttons
- Adjustable rear Matrix LED reading lights.
- Smartphone-sized OLED touch remote control to customize rear seating and infotainment preferences including Matrix reading lamps.
- Front 22-way seats with massage, ventilation
- Heated steering wheel
- Dual-pane acoustic glass
- Front and rear heated center and door armrests
- Folding productivity tables in center console
- Alcantra® headliner
- Valcona Leather interior and Extended Leather Package
Technology and Connectivity
As the flagship of the brand, the A8 has long presented industry-leading technologies that make their way into future Audi models. This latest generation is no different as Audi approaches the digital age with a revolutionary infotainment concept debuting in the A8 that features haptic touch functionality, user-friendly menus and the simplicity of operation known from your smart phone. Extending the ease in usability for all occupants, the smartphone-sized OLED remote control allows rear seat passengers to conveniently customize their seating and infotainment preferences as well as the ambient and matrix interior lighting settings.
Technology and connectivity features include:
- MMI touch response® with two stacked touch interface screens
- The upper 10.3“ screen with smartphonelike functionality, offers intuitive and flat menu structure where the user can freely arrange the feature icons according to personal preferences
- The 8.6“ lower control panel offers simplified button free adjustment of, HVAC, seating, and storage of up to 32 short cuts frequently accessed MMI and infotainment functions
- Up to seven individual storage driver profiles
- A8 voice interaction with natural language processing for MMI commands and vehicle functions
- All-new HERE-powered map and navigation system that is able to learn drive routes over time so the system can make smarter routing suggestions
- New myAudi app enables greater range of smartphone-controlled vehicle selections. Single application consolidates touchpoints into one location including lock/unlock, geo-fencing, speed warning, destination entry and others functions.
- Standard is the second generation Audi virtual cockpit featuring a large, 12.3-inch display that delivers vibrant color at 60 frames per second with K1 chip from NVIDIA® quad core processing power at 1920 x 720 pixels per inch. The virtual cockpit helps make viewing and navigating via the large Google Earth Satellite images supported with 4G LTE (where available) easier via the full map display and through its placement directly in front of the driver. The virtual cockpit is fully controllable via the steering wheel.
- Available full-color head-up display, projecting relevant driving information directly in the driver’s field of vision including speed, traffic signs, navigation and driver assistance system information
- Audi smartphone interface including Apple CarPlay™ and Google ™ Android Auto
- Available Bang & Olufsen® Advanced Sound System with 3D surround sound:
- 23 speakers including Acoustic Lens Technology (ALT)
- 24-channel BeoCore amplifier with ICEpower® technology
- 1,920 watts and 5.1 Surround Sound
- Available Audi smartphone wireless charging with antenna booster in the center console
- Available Audi dual tablet rear seat entertainment system with DVD changer
The A8 will be introduced with a comprehensive suite of driver assistance systems and functions that benefit from:
- The world’s first laser scanner in a production vehicle,
- Fundamentally improved sensors
- The zFAS central driver assistance computer that processes all of the sensor information.
Delivering an Audi benchmark in driver assistance and convenience systems, the 2019 A8 sets a new standard in luxury providing increased ease of mind and operation through its comprehensive assistance functionality. In addition to advancements in systems previously debuted by Audi, including the stress reducing adaptive cruise assist, advanced collision mitigation and cross traffic assist, through its onboard sensors, cameras and laser, the A8 sets a new technical standard.
The advanced systems debuting in the A8 offer an added element of ease behind the wheel. While the driver maintains control, the intelligent systems in the A8 simultaneously assess the vehicle’s surroundings, providing the driver with added confidence and stress reduction. The impressive array of safety enhancing systems, including improved lane centering capabilities and more precise lane tracking, make the A8 the driver assistance benchmark for the brand and the segment.
Enhancing the groundbreaking A8 system further is the introduction of the first production automotive laser scanner with a wide horizontal range that is more precisely able to provide detailed, contoured images that measure distance and orientation. Together with the vehicle’s long-range radar and front camera, the laser scanner forms a trio of sensors with various functional strengths that complement each other. It is these sensors combined, as well as the powerful zFAS driver assistance computer, which generates an image of the surroundings and processes the data to help inform the driver and actuate the driver assistance systems as needed.
New A8 driver assistance systems included in the driver assistance package:
- Adaptive Cruise Assist – (ACA)
The Adaptive Cruise Assist (ACA) function is a ‘hands-on’ system that assists the driver with acceleration, braking and steering at low speed and in traffic jam situations, improved navigation of tight lane situations such as construction zones, as well as supporting highway speeds.
- Intersection assist – can help support the driver avoid low-speed collisions with cross traffic in front of the car when entering an intersection or when leaving a parking space with an obstructed view. The system warns the driver visually of approaching traffic and audibly as well as initiating braking when needed.
- Predictive active suspension – is an automotive first and can detect a potential collision from the side via Audi pre sense side, and can raise the chassis by 3.1 inches within half of a second to help channel the impact toward the strongest structures of the A8 while also preparing the cabin for optimal seating position and condition in order better protect its passengers.
- Audi pre sense 360 – detects potential collision hazards all around the car and initiates specific preventative measures ranging from full emergency braking, preconditioning seat belt tensioners, raising windows, closing sunroof and prepares airbags for deployment in case of a pending front, rear and now side collisions.
- Emergency assist – detects if the driver is unresponsive and brings the car to a stop in its lane, engages emergency hazard lights and places an emergency SOS call.
- 360 degree cameras (‘Virtual top view’) – simplifies parking and maneuvering by providing a virtual 3D image of the vehicle’s surroundings, allowing the driver to spin and zoom the image for optimal view.
- Exit assist - now delays opening of door through the electronic latch system if a vehicle or bike rider is approaching as you look to open door.
- Loose wheel detection
All of these new driver assistance functions join the impressive offering already available on Audi models today:
Audi active lane assist
Audi side assist
Collision avoidance assist
Multicollision brake assist
Night vision assist
Parking system plus
Predictive efficiency assistant
Rear cross traffic assist
Traffic jam assist
Traffic sign recognition
Lighting and Convenience
Design and body highlights include:
- LED headlights, available HD Matrix-design LED headlights (US availability TBC)
- LED taillights with dynamic turn signals, available OLED taillights with animation
- Singleframe® grille
- Power soft-closing doors
- 19” 15-spoke design wheels and available 20” 20-spoke-structure design wheels
- Power-adjustable, auto-dimming, power-folding, heated exterior side mirrors with memory
- Power trunk, open/close with hands free operation
- Headlight washing system
- 2-panel panoramic sunroof with black-out shade
- The 2019 A8 is offered exclusively as a long wheelbase model, measuring 7 inches in length
Chassis and Suspension
With dynamic all-wheel steering, Predictive active suspension and the powerful all-new electronic chassis platform, Audi has rethought every aspect of the all-new flagship’s handling and ride experience. Comprised of 29 different frame materials and 14 cold and hot joining techniques, the A8 delivers an intelligent material matrix. The result is outstanding driver handling and premium passenger comfort in a safe and quiet package.
Chassis and suspension features include:
- Standard Adaptive air suspension enables the various suspension and damping combinations to provide a luxurious ride and dynamic driving experience
- Available Predictive active suspension, a fully active, electromechanically operated system that can reduce or increase torque and raise or lower each wheel individually in 300 milliseconds, thereby controlling body motion for benchmark levels of agility and passenger comfort. Simultaneously, the forward facing camera scans the roadway to help anticipate irregularities in the surface and make adjustments for optimal ride quality
- Available dynamic all-wheel steering offers increased maneuverability at low speeds and more precise steering at higher speeds
Powertrain and Performance
Launching with a new 3.0 liter V6 turbo engine, the A8 powertrain is paired with a standard new 48-volt electric mild-hybrid drivetrain. This 10Ah lithium-ion battery and new belt driven alternator starter (BAS) has been engineered to support the TFSI® engine and functions as the main vehicle electrical system enabling the advanced infotainment and luxury equipment, including the driver assistance systems and electromechanical suspension in the A8. This system allows for recuperation of power and is designed to help provide a more responsive and smooth ride. The powertrain operates in conjunction with a fast and gently shifting eight speed tiptronic transmission and standard quattro® all-wheel drive with self-locking center differential.
A8 L 3.0 TFSI V6 quattro®
Eight-speed Tiptronic® automatic transmission and quattro® all-wheel drive
lb-ft of torque
Market Introduction & Pricing Detail
The all-new 2019 A8 will go onsale in the Fall of 2018 with the 3.0 Liter V6 TFSI engine. A V8 engine will be available by Summer of 2019.
Starting manufacturer suggested retail prices:
A8 L 3.0 TFSI
V6 quattro ®
Starting MSRP of $83,800for more information on the 2019 Audi A8L 3.0 TFSI V6 quattro® with automatic transmission. Prices above excluding destination charge, taxes, title, options and dealer charge. Dealer sets actual price.
Final U.S. offerings may differ. Full product portfolio and pricing will be confirmed closer to on-sale date in the fall of 2018.
Always pay careful attention to the road, and do not drive while distracted. See Owner’s Manual for further details, and important limitations for MMI Touch response®.
Audi Navigation plus depends on signals from the worldwide Global Positioning Satellite network. The vehicle's electrical system, and existing wireless and satellite technologies, must be available and operating properly for the system to function. The system is designed to provide you with suggested routes in locating addresses, destinations and other points of interest. Changes in street names, construction zones, traffic flow, points of interest and other road system changes are beyond the control of Audi of America, Inc. Complete detailed mapping of lanes, roads, streets, toll roads, highways, etc., is not possible, therefore you may encounter discrepancies between the mapping and your actual location. Please rely on your individual judgment in determining whether or not to follow a suggested Audi navigation plus route.
Always pay careful attention to the road, and do not drive while distracted. The Wi-Fi hotspot feature is intended for passenger use only. 4G LTE coverage is not available in all areas. The Wi-Fi feature is provided through Connect PLUS. Connect PLUS features and technologies are optional, may require an additional subscription with separate terms and conditions, and should be used only when it is safe and appropriate. See materials provided by wireless carrier for terms, privacy, data security details. Returning devices connect automatically and use plan data unless hotspot is removed from device settings.
Driver Assistance features are not substitutes for attentive driving. See Owner’s Manual for further details, and important limitations.
- End -
Audi of America, Inc. and its U.S. dealers offer a full line of German-engineered luxury vehicles. AUDI AG is among the most successful luxury automotive brands, delivering about 1.878 million vehicles globally in 2017. In the U.S., Audi of America sold nearly 227,000 vehicles in 2017 and broke company sales records for the eighth straight year. Visit audiusa.com or media.audiusa.com for more information regarding Audi vehicles and business topics.
The new Audi S8 – High performance joins the premium flagship sedan lineup
- Powerful V8 engine with 563 horsepower and 590 lb-ft of torque
- Standard combination of innovative suspension systems including Predictive active suspension, Dynamic all-wheel steering and Sport differential, ensure outstanding vehicle dynamics
- S model stature: Design draws attention to the confident elegance of the performance-oriented long wheelbase sedan
HERNDON, Va., Sept. 3, 2019 – Expanding the A8 family, the Audi S8 combines progressive luxury with dynamic performance while honing its reputation as the benchmark for the brand’s engineering efforts with an innovative suspension system and exceptional performance. Its 4.0 TFSI engine – a biturbo eight-cylinder unit – produces 563 horsepower and an impressive 590 lb-ft of torque. It is combined with Mild Hybrid technology for a balance of efficiency and comfort with exhilarating performance. The standard equipped Predictive active suspension, Dynamic all-wheel steering and quattro drive with sport differential, provide for outstanding vehicle dynamics. Ensuring a distinct stance, the new Audi S8 uses specific design elements to express the progressive elegance of the sophisticated luxury sedan.
Impressive performance: the engine
Joining the A8 model line, the high-power S8 sets itself apart from the competition. Encompassing a V8 engine with mild hybrid technology, the high-performance powertrain in the Audi S8 offers not only maximum smoothness, but with an output of 563 horsepower, 590lb-ft of torque and two turbochargers. The result is ample power available for nearly any situation. Top track speed is electronically limited to 155 mph. Iron-lined cylinder barrels in the aluminum crankcase can reduce friction for exceptionally smooth running. Automatically actuated flaps in the exhaust system underscore the impressive sound.
Sports car-level emotion and performance are paired with comfort and efficiency. The mild hybrid system (MHEV) works continuously to help increase fuel efficiency. Its 48-volt belt alternator starter and the additional lithium-ion battery enable fast restart and an extended start-stop range. The cylinder on demand system, which deactivates individual cylinders in low-load operating situations, provides for additional efficiency. The vehicle’s sound system features active noise cancellation to eliminate intrusive cabin noise for the ultimate in comfort.
Vehicle dynamics: predictive active suspension, dynamic all-wheel steering and quattro with sport differential
The unique combination of innovative suspension components enables the flagship to cover the entire range from the smooth cruising of a luxury sedan to the dynamically performance-oriented handling of a sports car, all depending on the driver’s preference. The new S8 comes standard with the predictive active suspension. The high-tech system, which works in combination with the adaptive air suspension, can lift or push down each wheel separately via electromechanical actuators. It is therefore possible for the first time to actively control the body in certain driving situations and helps reduce pitch or roll during acceleration or braking. The front camera, which detects larger road surface irregularities, enables this to be done predictively. The Audi drive select system offers unique profiles from which to customize the drive experience. Through the comfort setting, even cornering can be a comfortable experience: The body leans into curves by as much as 3 degrees to help reduce the lateral acceleration acting on the occupants. In “dynamic” mode the S8 turns in tightly. The maximum roll angle during fast cornering is just roughly 2.5 degrees compared with around 5 degrees with the standard suspension. The active suspension enables another new function. The body is quickly raised by as much as 52.0 in when the door handle is actuated for an even more comfortable entry and exit.
The Audi S8 is redefining vehicle dexterity and maneuverability thanks to the dynamic all-wheel steering. This allows the independent adjustment of the steering angles at the front and rear axles. It therefore combines direct, agile steering response at low and medium speeds with supreme stability on the highway and a tight turning circle, thus resolving a frequent conflicting handling objective. The sport differential actively transfers torque between the rear wheels during fast cornering. When turning into or accelerating in a curve, most is directed to the outside wheel. This literally pushes the car into the curve and helps reduce understeer. In the case of oversteer, the sport differential on the rear axle transfers the drive torque to the inside wheel to help stabilize the S8. Dynamic all-wheel steering, the sport differential and the predictive active suspension are all standard equipment. The interplay of these systems is unique and helps ensure composed and performance handling. Customers can choose the optional high-performance carbon-fiber ceramic brake discs with a diameter of 16.5 inches at the front axle and 14.6 inches at the rear axle. The ceramic brakes are internally ventilated, low-wearing and including the calipers are 21.2 lb lighter than cast iron discs.
Precise expression of sporty elegance: the design
The precise and flowing exterior design of the model series receives a unique characteristic befitting of the performance-oriented Audi S8. Bold interior and exterior design elements finely hone the sporty character. Details on the front bumper, side sills and the exterior mirror housings as well as the two S-typical twin exhaust tailpipes emphasize the car’s sporty and progressive character. On the interior, new and available exclusively in the Audi S8 – the upper inlay is made of Carbon Vector with a special 3D depth effect. Directly below that is an inlay of dark, brushed matt aluminum. Lighting options range up to HD matrix LED headlights with Audi laser light and OLED rear lights. As with the A8, in the U.S. the Audi S8 is available exclusively as a long wheelbase model. The increased vehicle length and height means a significant increase in comfort for the occupants thanks to greater head and leg room over the previous short wheel base derivative.
Progressive and state-of-the-art: the equipment
Every detail of the new Audi S8 reflects its character as a sporty luxury model. One particular highlight are the standard comfort contour front seats with distinctive diamond stitch. They feature wide ranging power adjustment, pneumatically adjustable side bolsters and separate three-stage heating for each seat. Enhancing comfort further, ventilation and massage functions are standard. The rear seats also offer numerous features for outstanding comfort and provide for a first-class atmosphere in the Audi S8.
As with the A8, the S8 receives a comprehensive suite of Audi driver assistance features. Adaptive cruise assist stands out among the range of assist features. It combines the functions of adaptive cruise control, traffic jam assist and lane tracking for ease behind the wheel. In combination with predictive efficiency assist, it helps brake and accelerate the Audi S8 in anticipation of the conditions ahead. In the Audi Driver Assistance package, Audi pre sense side joins the systems pre sense front and pre sense rear to create Audi pre sense 360° with Predictive active suspension. If the system detects an impending side impact, it can operate together with the predictive active suspension to instantly raise the body by as much as 3.1 inches. This brings the sill into a better position to absorb the impact energy, and help mitigate the potential consequences of the accident for the occupants.
The brain behind the driver assistance features in the new S8 is a high-performance processing unit, the central driver assistance controller (zFAS). It continuously computes a differentiated model of the vehicle’s surroundings based on the data provided by the sensors. When equipped with all available features, there are five radar sensors, six cameras, twelve ultrasound sensors and a laser scanner on board.
Digital and intelligent: controls and connectivity
The new Audi S8 offers a progressive technology experience with new digital services and state-of-the-art connectivity. The MMI touch response operating concept of the new Audi S8 is fully digital. The driver controls nearly all functions via two large displays. The driver can also use natural speech control, which offers virtually unlimited freedom when formulating questions and commands. The answers are provided either from information stored on board or from the cloud. Alexa, Amazon’s cloud-based voice assistant, is also available as an option. All driving-relevant displays appear in the Audi virtual cockpit, which can be switched between two views. While the tachometer and speedometer are displayed as large dial-type gages in driving mode, the map is the center of attention in infotainment mode. Both views have S-specific red graphical details. A special S-performance layout for the Audi virtual cockpit where the central focus is the tachometer, displayed as a square graph, and the output and torque are shown as percentages can also be selected in the MMI. The standard head-up display can display important information on the windshield.
MMI navigation plus serves as the infotainment and media center in the new S8. Besides the integration of the Amazon Alexa voice service, the extensive Audi connect range includes numerous car-to-X services that draw on the swarm intelligence of the Audi fleet. Traffic light information is a new feature that Audi is enabling successively in select cities across the United States. Interconnection with the city’s infrastructure allows the vehicle to receive information from the central traffic light computer via a server, alerting the driver of a speed to match the next green-light phase, within legal speed limit parameters. The Audi virtual cockpit displays an individual speed recommendation as well as the remaining time until the next green-light phase if the driver is already waiting at a red light. The system thereby contributes to a predictive and efficient driving style and facilitates a steady flow of traffic. Online traffic sign information, hazard alerts and on‑street parking round out the range of car-to-X services. The myAudi app can connect the car to the customer’s compatible smartphone so that they can easily send destinations to the car from their couch. The Audi smartphone interface wirelessly brings Apple Car Play and Android Auto on board. High-end components such as the Bang & Olufsen 3D Advanced Sound System and the Audi phone box round out the infotainment lineup in the new S8.
A8: Expanding model line
The new Audi S8 joins the heralded flagship A8 to offer impressive power and dynamics in the premium segment. The sports car oriented sedan reaffirms that luxury and performance blend seamlessly to balance customer’s demand. Rounding out the model line with an efficient addition, a Plug-in Hybrid derivative will follow.
– End –
ABOUT AUDI OF AMERICA
Audi of America, Inc. and its U.S. dealers offer a full line of German-engineered luxury vehicles. AUDI AG is among the most successful luxury automotive brands, delivering about 1.812 million vehicles globally in 2018. In the U.S., Audi of America sold nearly 224,000 vehicles in 2018. 2019 marks 50 years for the brand in the U.S. Visit audiusa.com or media.audiusa.com for more information regarding Audi vehicles and business topics.
July 19, 2018
The all-new 2019 A8 arrives this fall - leading premium interior design, technology and driver assistance for Audi
The all-new 2019 Audi A8 delivers a modern, serene interior design, usable technology, seamless connectivity and cutting-edge driver assistance features to make driver and passengers better informed and more relaxed. Read More
November 20, 2017
Leading all that is to come, the all-new 2019 Audi A8 brings future premium to the luxury segment at the Los Angeles Auto Show
The all-new A8, in its fourth generation, serves as a leader in the luxury sedan segment. The all-new A8 delivers a serene interior design, usable technology that seamlessly connects drivers and passengers to their digital lives and driver assistance technologies that allow everyone to arrive more relaxed. Read More
September 07, 2017
Navigation technology at the highest level: Audi and HERE developing hand in hand
Audi and HERE Technologies continue to integrate their services for even greater customer benefit. In the new Audi A8 luxury sedan, the automobile manufacturer offers an array of technologies and services created by the map developer. Read More